Sexy Little Numbers: How to Grow Your Business Using the Data You Already Have (Hardcover)
Imagine if you could identify your business’s most profitable customers, craft a better marketing strategy to communicate with them, and inspire them to buy more?
Well now you can. And the best part is that you can do it using the data you already have.
Today, everything we do creates data, and the volumes are enormous. Virtually every time someone views something online, enters search on Google, or even surfs the web on a smart phone, another chunk gets added – in real time - to the multibillion gigabyte (and growing) trove of data that can help us better understand and predict consumer behavior. We no longer need expertise in math or statistics or even expensive modeling software to get the most out of all these revealing consumer insights. A revolution in data analysis is underway, and the methods and tools for aggregating and analyzing this “data deluge” are suddenly far simpler, less expensive, and more precise than they were.
In this book – the first of its kind – Dimitri Maex, Managing Director of global advertising agency OgilvyOne New York and the engine behind the agency’s global analytics practice, reveals how to turn your data - those sexy little numbers that can mean more profit for your business – into actionable strategies that drive real growth and revenues. And he can show you how to do it at virtually no cost. In his clear, easy-to-understand style, he explains how to:
• Identify which customers are most valuable, which have the most potential to be valuable, which are most likely to buy more in the future, and which are not worth targeting.
• Allocate your marketing assets in the best possible way and pinpoint the outlays that will generate the highest possible returns.
• Figure out precisely which communication or media brought a customer to your company’s web site and what that customer will do once she arrives.
• Predict which products or services customers will want in the future.
• Learn which customers are preparing to defect to the competition and how to stop them.
• Determine which customers buy your product because it is perfect for their needs, which ones purchase because they liked your ad, which ones chose you because of an appealing price, and which ones came to you through word-of-mouth…or some combination of all these factors.
• Drill your geographic targeting down to the regional, zip code, and even neighborhood level.
• Optimize your web presence to get the maximum return from search.
A must read for marketers striving to get the biggest ROI on their advertising dollars, small business owners eager to grow faster, researchers needing a consumer in mind for whom to create new products or services, those in finance responsible for growing the bottom line, and even creatives looking for feedback to help them improve their output, Sexy Little Numbers is THE essential tool not just for math nerds and number crunchers, but for anyone wishing to use the data at their fingertips to grow their business and increase their profits dramatically.
About the Author
DIMITRI MAEX is Managing Director of OgilvyOne New York, Ogilvy & Mather’s Direct and Digital operations. He also serves as the head of the company's Global Data Practice, a team that has been recognized by Forrester Research as being number one in the industry. Renowned worldwide for the analytics solutions he’s developed, he has helped companies such as GlaxoSmithKline, IBM, Philips, Siemens, Sears, UPS, and many other global enterprises employ hugely profitable and radically new uses for their data and analysis.
PAUL B. BROWN, a long-time contributor to The New York Times, is a bestselling author who has collaborated on numerous business classics including Customers for Life (with Carl Sewell) and Your Marketing Sucks (with Mark Stevens).
Praise for Sexy Little Numbers: How to Grow Your Business Using the Data You Already Have…
"The daily data deluge can cause fits of analysis paralysis. Thankfully, Dimitri Maex is here to prevent that deer-in-the-headlights feeling that comes from information overload"- Fast Company
"An easy read, full of relevant examples of number crunching that gets results. "
"Brings the ancient and secret art of data analytics to life for the modern business leader. It is not just for data-heads and statisticians, it is for every leader who wants to learn more about how to responsibly unlock the power of data for their organization. Dimitri Maex makes data sexy."
- Don Tapscott, Best-selling author most recently of Macrowikinomics
"What you do with your data is vastly more important than acquiring still more of it. And the marketing future belongs to just two groups: technicians and magicians. The technicians will ensure that the data’s rich and recent, and the magicians will transmute it into profitable ideas. So the authors of this invaluable book believe; and every responsible marketing company will want to know why. "
-Sir Martin Sorrell, CEO, WPP
“These strategies can help everyone bank on greater success and better customer relationships - no matter if you are a global business like UPS, a start up looking to find its market, or a venerable mom and pop shop on the corner. “
- Christine M. Owens, SVP, Communications and Brand Management, UPS
“The age of ‘big data’ is here. Those businesses that are able to derive actionable, predictive insights from huge amounts of data not only gain a competitive advantage but will transform the very culture of their businesses. Maex shows how to leverage data to know which customers to target, how best to engage with them and how to measure what is working. This is a must read for anyone who wishes to understand how others are harnessing the power of data successfully, and how to do the same.”
-Wes Nichols, Co-Founder and CEO, MarketShare