Raising Girls: How to Help Your Daughter Grow Up Happy, Healthy, and Strong (Paperback)
A practical guidebook and passionate call-to-arms for parents of girls that empowers them to raise confident, well-rounded daughters in an exploitative world, from the author of the international bestseller Raising Boys.
Raising a happy, healthy, well-adjusted daughter from babyhood to womanhood can be a challenge. Girls need to be strong, and in this warm-hearted book, best-selling parenting author Steve Biddulph brings together the finest thinking from around the world on how to raise daughters who are self-assured, know they are loved, and can stand up for themselves and others. With gentle humor and proven wisdom backed by decades of experience as a family psychologist and father, Biddulph shows parents of girls how to navigate the obstacles of growing up in a world that seems bent on poisoning their confidence. Biddulph also discusses:
• The five stages of girlhood, and how to help them go smoothly.
• How to deal with bullying, mean girls, and social media.
• Ways to ease the transition into the teen years.
• What you need to know about healthy body image, food, and eating disorders.
• The importance of girl’s friendships and how to support them.
• How to help girls happily and confidently relate to boys.
With unforgettable success stories of girls growing up wise and warm, Raising Girls is fierce and tender; loving and concerned. It is both a detailed guidebook and a passionate call-to-arms to defend and empower girls everywhere.
About the Author
STEVE BIDDULPH is one of the world’s best-known parenting authors, with books in four million homes and thirty-one languages. He was a family psychologist for more than thirty years, and teaches at The Cairnmillar Institute in Melbourne. He lives in Tasmania, Australia.